What is it?
The Double Dutch Pancake House is a small, authentic restaurant which can be found in the middle of York. All the pancakes are prepared freshly using organic milk and free-range eggs from local farms. There is a huge range of pancakes available to choose from (both savoury and sweet!). In the unlikely event that you can’t your pancake of choice from their selection, you can choose to build your own pancake instead. Another great bonus is the vegan and gluten-free alternatives. Click here for their >> menu.
Although their focus is on pancakes, there is a range of other options available, like sandwiches, side dishes and desserts. Try the traditional Dutch Stroopwafel available! My personal favourite was the gluten-free chocolate fudge cake which comes with either whipped cream or ice-cream. It was a massive portion including two scoops of ice cream and a big slice of cake. However, it was so good, I could not stop eating!
The nice and helpful staff with the smell of the tasteful pancakes makes you feel directly welcome once you enter the pancake house. The authentic Dutch decoration makes you feel like you’ve escaped into the Netherlands for amazing pancakes. The pancake house is owned by a married couple that opened it up after “Whenever we’d say ‘we’re having pancakes at our house…’ you’d guarantee we’d be feeding a crowd.” It was something they always loved and is now open to everyone. And they are right, the pancakes were delicious!
It’s one of my favourite places to go in York. You’re able to take anyone with you as it offers something for everyone’s taste! Also, it’s perfect for any time of the day, if you want to have some breakfast, a quick lunch, catch up with your friends during an afternoon tea or have a nice, quiet dinner with some drinks. Try the delicious Dutch pancakes!
7 Church Street, York, YO1 8BG
Phone- 01904 658728
- Very welcoming and helpful staff
- Authentic decoration and atmosphere which makes you really feel like you’re in the Netherlands (As a German citizen myself I can say it is difficult to find the real deal in the UK)
- Large selection
- Dietary requirements covered
- There is a lovely dessert menu, my recommendation being the traditional Dutch Stroopwafel!
- Big selection of drinks, including hot and cold drinks, wine and beer, as well as milkshakes. Of course, there is a vegan option for milkshakes as well.
- Everything is prepared fresh
- There is something for everyone’s taste!
- Small restaurant so once it’s busy it will be hard to get seating, but you’re able to make a booking online or by ringing them!
- It can be quite expensive but with our costs and deals section below you can find ways to make it much more affordable
- If you’re not into pancakes, this is probably not the place to go for you, as the choices of side dishes and sandwiches are very small.
Take the 66, 66a or 6 bus into town and from there it’s just a five-minute walk to the pancake house. Find the First Bus website here for information on these services including timetables.
- They have 10% student discount from Mon-Thu, all day.
- Also, there is a breakfast special available from Mon-Fri 10AM-11:30AM, where you are able to choose from a choice of breakfast pancakes, a choice of Yorkshire breakfast tea or coffee and get a small juice for £6.95.
- Able to get an afternoon special from Mon-Thu 2PM-5PM. You can choose a pancake with one of the selected toppings and get any hot drink for £5.00. The option also available as gluten-free or vegan.
- Otherwise, the quality of the food and drinks makes up for the times you visit without the deals. It honestly is worth every penny!